A rich delicious traditional Christmas drink that is easily adapted to Keto.
Merry Keto Eggnog
12 egg yolks (decrease to 6 egg yolks if you would like it less rich)
3/4 cup Allulose (decrease to 1/2 cup if you would like it less sweet)
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 egg whites
Optional Bourbon or Spiced Rum
Nutmeg for garnish
- Beat egg yolks, beat in allulose : In a large bowl, use a whisk or an electric mixer to beat egg yolks until they become somewhat lighter in color. Slowly add the sweetener, beating after each addition. Beat at high speed or whisk until fluffy.
- Heat milk with cinnamon and cloves: Combine the milk, cloves, and cinnamon in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat on medium heat until the milk mixture is steamy hot, but not boiling.
- Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook until eggnog mixture thickens: Cook the eggnog on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream.
- Strain and chill: Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the cloves and any curdled bits that may have formed. Let cool for one hour.
- Stir in vanilla extract, nutmeg, add optional bourbon and rum (feel free to omit for kid-friendly eggnog). Chill.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they reach soft peaks. Add a teaspoon of sweetener and continue to beat until they reach stiff peaks. Gently fold into eggnog.
- Eggnog is best if chilled overnight, it allows the flavors to come together. Prepare at least one day before needed. Enjoy!